Sunday, August 24, 2008

Blogbatical

I was SO in need of a vacation. I was SO in need that I didn't even leave a little note on my blog like other obsessive/compulsive , courteous bloggers do to let you know that they won't be posting for a while. So I've been on a blogbatical.

On Thursday, August 14th at precisely 4:30 and one second, my daughter (who had met me at work) and I charged skipped down the hallway of my office and made a beeline to my car.

Within minutes, we were speeding leisurely entering the 15 fwy headed north to Provo. I've made this drive so many times that I could do it in my sleep. With car on auto pilot, off we went. No sooner than we were ON the freeway, we got OFF in Barstow to get a Tommy's Burger.

Are there things that you do when you are on vacation that are kind of tradition? You have to do them every time you go somewhere? That's Tommy's Burger for this daughter and I. Another one is to get a pink frosted Grandma's cookie when I am in Utah. I've done it for so long now, that all of my family members will not let me leave the state until I get one. (I have GOT to stop posting about cookies!! Resurrect Fudgees from your memory)

Although I had things to do in Provo, like moving this daughter into her apartment and getting her settled, I was also going to attend Education Week, which I did and will post about it later. BUT my biggest goal was to find a pool. All I wanted to do was to lay by a pool, with a cool drink in my hand and try to imagine myself on a tropical beach. All I needed was one day. ONE DAY to relax by a pool and read "Breaking Dawn". I didn't know anyone with a pool but I do have a nephew who works at a hotel and I was going ask him if I could sneak enter the pool area of that hotel. Well, with TWO daughters now in Provo, other things took precedent and I never found that pool with my name on it.

Back to our drive. Young single adults can't go for a very long time without loud music some tunes, so after we engulfed ate our Tommy Burgers, on came on the music. Luckily she chose the Beatles. Pretty soon we were yelling singing at the top of our lungs to "Hey Jude". Nah, nah, nah, nah-nah-nah-nah, nah-nah-nah-nah, HEY JUDE!!! After which we would break into peals of laughter. Road trips are the best, and I am at my best when I am with my kids.

That pool with my name on it will have to wait for another day on another vacation. This past week was great and I'll post some pictures soon along with some treasures and nuggets that I learned at Education Week. For now, I am home, unpacking, doing laundry and oh....and I quite forgot....I need to go turn my CD player on. Nah, nah, nah, nah-nah-nah-nah, Hey Jude!

Good to be back.

15 comments:

Janell said...

And we missed you!!! I hope to have these sorts of relationships with my kids as they grow up - this sounds like so much fun (pink cookies are the best!!) (haven't had a Tommy's burger yet .... ) Glad you are back!

chelle said...

Love your traditions. What great memories you have made with your kids. This is one of my goals in life and I love to see others doing it with so much grace and fun!

Welcome home. Nah, nah, nah m

Pancake said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linda said...

Oh yes, Tommy Burgers are the best...and what about their fries! Man, I'm getting hungry just thinking about them.

Car trips are so fun! We just left home for a trip to AZ to bring our daughter back to college. I'm always up for an adventure!

Lisa Loo said...

I love it!! Road trips are the best! And doing it while singing with your daughters is the cherry on top! I don't know about you but my daughters are among my best friends! I missed you also--I love it--blogbatical--you should coyright that word. Never heard of a Tommy burger but we LOVE the pink frosted cookies!

Jan said...

I was about ready to change your name to blog ditcher. Just joking. So glad to see you back around the curcuit. Sounds like a fun little get away and chow downs. Fun to have a great family that you can relax with and be yourselves. That is what its all about. Hope you enjoyed your blogbatical. Those are always nice.

Jer & Di said...

OK, I can't believe you JUST got back and already have posted and that you already have 6 posts...what are you the queen of blogs? I am thinking yes! Though, I do think you should have been here in my backyard saying good bye to old friends INSTEAD of posting! (Or at least instead of laundry!) Welcome home..you were missed.

Anonymous said...

WELCOME BAAAACK!!!! i love traditions and yours are Great!

cookingsherri said...

That was too long for me. I was having withdrawal symptoms. I feel much better now.

Da Bergs said...

Okay, girlie, I had wondered where on earth you were! Unlike all of us obessed, or as you might say... kind bloggers we DO let our friends know where we are... so they do not think we fell off the earth, or were... translated!

Glad you are back! Too bad about the pool! Sounds like you had a great time though!!!

WisAndGrif said...

Sounds like you guys had a great trip. I know when I go with my mom anywhere it's always a blast but I much rather drive then have her drive...when she tells a story she'll slow down when she comes to the exciting part. Drives me crazy. Ha ha ha
Love you!
Brynne

Redhoodoos said...

Glad you're back home safely and that you had your infamous Grandma cookie!! Too funny. Missed you and your fun posts.

Nikki said...

I hear that you and Britt stopped by my parents new house?!?! I'm so sad I missed you!!!

tiki_lady said...

I loved that you had fun with your girls. Are you finished reading yet? Turn up the tunes!!

Elisa said...

Welcome back!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map