Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Bad boys, Bad boys, whatcha gonna do?

I saw something kind of exciting the other day. Well at least it was exciting for me in my work-a-day world life. I was at one of our local malls, the kind that are currently called lifestyle centers where the stores are outside and not enclosed. Things have truly become full circle. I am old enough to remember strip malls where the stores were outside and then enclosed malls became popular and these strip malls were converted and enclosed. I clearly remember thinking how cool enclosed malls were because you could now shop inside in case of inclement weather. Not that we get a lot of inclement weather in Southern Calif, but I still remember thinking they were so cool. Now it's back to being outside and called lifestyle centers. Yet I digress.....

I came out of one of my favorite stores to see a crowd gathered around a parked car. There were also two police officers with their cruiser parked askew on the street. Then I also saw the cameraman and another guy holding a microphone on a long pole. I'm sure there is a technical term for the microphone guy, but I don't know what it is!! I'm sure they were filming an episode of "COPS". The two officers were tapping on the windows of the parked car and my first thought was that someone had left their child in their car. The temperature was probably 95 degrees and all the windows were rolled up. My heart groaned at the thought that this situation might turn out to be fatal.

Well, there was something left in the car and it was the car owner's dog. The officers waited around for quite a few moments then decided to take action. One officer laid a large tarp across the windows on one side of the car while the other officer tried to get the dog's attention on the other side of the car. The cop with the tarp took his billy club and attempted to break the window behind the driver's seat. The club bounced off the window and once he dropped it on the street. It took the officer five tries before the window finally crumbled. A cheer rang out through the crowd as the officers guided the dog out of the car. A young mother with two kids in a stroller had some bottled water which they poured over the dog and gave him a drink.

A few minutes after freeing the dog, the owner arrived. He was a young man of about 24 or 25 and guessing by his hand gestures was trying to tell the cops that he was just over at another store and was going to be right back. The cameraman zoomed in on him, as the officers guided him to the curb and had him sit down. The cops didn't care too much about the story they were being given. I wondered what kind of ticket he was going to get. Was this a misdemeanor or is cruelty to animals a felony?

The crowd finally dissapated, the young man had his dog returned to him and drove away with a smashed window. The last person remaining was a security guard sweeping up the broken glass in the street.

All in all, I was just glad that no one was harmed in the filming of this episode, man or dog!

14 comments:

chelle said...

Oh, how exciting. I think it is nice that everyone was so worried about a dog, since I am a dog lover and all! Thanks for the post. That would have spiced up my day as well! M

Redhoodoos said...

My husband loves COPS! When I was reading your post he heard the COPS music and his ears perked up - "are you watching COPS?"! lol.

Sooo glad the officers got the dog out. I don't know why some people have to be so insensitive and cruel to their animals.

Thanks for clearing up the coyote drama, btw! After I read your comment, I knew we had our answer and the mystery was solved!!

Have a great day - hopefully without and COPS incidents.

Jan said...

That is a ruff episode of cops for sure. I love a good dog rescue story. Thanks for this one.

Anonymous said...

WOW!~ Talk about being at the Right place at the RIGHT time! LUCKY!!!

glad the Doggie is ok! :)

Risa West said...

it's amazing how much people seem to care about pets being left in cars. i left ours in a car for a few min in early april and she was panting when i came back...she will never be left in one again until winter...if mike and i are both out and about then we take her in when we can or one of us waits outside.

Elisa said...

Cops is my secret guilty pleasure!

Jan said...

I about fell over laughing about your daughters being in their 20's and you still had formula and diapers in your kit. I am so going to use this one in my class next week. Thanks for the laugh.

mysteryhistorymom said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I wanted to let you know that I am having a giveaway, too! THe drawing will be at 6:30 tonight, so make sure to come back and sign up!:-) Lori

Pancake said...

WOW, I am glad that the dog was ok!

HEY YOU! I have missed you... I brought you back something!!!

WisAndGrif said...

I can't imagine leaving Lola Leila in the car all alone...poor puppy. Cops to the rescue!

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

"Gonna be right back..." yeah right. Then how come he was gone long enough for the crowd to gather, the police to arrive, the multiple attempts as smashing the window??? Sometimes you just gotta wonder about some people, you know? I'm really glad this incident had a happy ending with a doggy that is still alive. Maybe the filming was for one of those shows on Animal Planet.

Cindy

Anonymous said...

Haha no way! Deb, I can't believe I randomly came across your blog! It was great to read all your news. Take care!
-Brittiany (Cahoon)

PS-The guy who holds the microphone is called a Boom Operator-in response to your post about Cops :)

Anonymous said...

Yay! Good to hear from you! Well, when I graduate, I'm actually going to move back to California for a bit, take a year off before grad school and just work and save up to travel! How are things going with you? If you ever want to chat, feel free to email!
english_equestrian@yahoo.com

Juri said...

What a great story, with a happy ending! We have two dogs and, although they love the car, the summer traveling is a no-no unless we plan on taking them out of the car with us when we stop! Your post is a good reminder to us all! And the cops did a good job!

I love your blog!!!

Juri

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map