Friday, July 11, 2008

Missionary vs. Wile E. Coyote



Well, before I start this post, I want to issue somewhat of a disclaimer and let everyone know that the two missionaries assigned to our ward are very valiant servants. They are not slacker missionaries (you know what I mean), they are obedient, VERY hard working and have raised the level of missionary work that is being done in our little community very substantially. But even the BEST missionaries need a little diversion........

This post is also dedicated to Redhoodoos who shared with us a photo of a coyote that she saw in Yellowstone! So Redhoodos, this one's for you!

In keeping with the recent direction from the Brethren, the missionaries in our ward live with a member family. Sister M. LOVES having the missionaries at her place and is a great second mom to them. However, Sister M. has a little fountain in the front of her yard and a coyote comes daily to drink from the fountain. Well, Sister M. also has a 4 year old little boy and worries constantly about the two wildlife animals mixing! We live in a tiny little mountain community of about 3,000 and seeing coyotes can be a daily experience.

So the Elders get permission from Sister M. to try and eliminate the coyote. (as in, dead) Since I think the ACME company is no longer in business (beep, beep, road runner music in the background) the Elders came up with a plan. I do not know how in the world they did this, but the Elders captured a squirrel, (which also can be seen on a daily basis) and...well... I'll leave the rest of that part to your imagination. Needless to say, it won't be eating nuts anymore.

Now switch your minds from The Roadrunner and Wile E. Coyote to Jurassic Park. Remember how they tried to lure the T-Rex by tying up a live goat? Enter recently expired squirrel.

With squirrel securely in place, the Elders sit on the roof, with bow and arrow in hand, and wait for Wile E. But Wile E. turned about to be very wily, because at midnight the Elders decided this was a waste of time, they were tired and so they went to bed.

So what happened to the squirrel? In the morning, all that was left was the tail. Compliments of Wile E. Coyote.

15 comments:

chelle said...

Wow! Sounds very wild up around you. I am waiting for part 2 to this story! M

Pancake said...

Deb, too funny!!! Wonder what plan B will be!

Anonymous said...

HA HA HAAAAAA!!! That is so funny!!! i ♥ it!!!

Jan said...

I am wondering if that is what my son is doing on his mission. Too funny.

I hope the coyote had a good meal,or should I say and upset stomache.

Plan B at the ole Acme ranch should be very interesting indeed.

Redhoodoos said...

WOW! Darren tells us there are a million stray cats in Russia... actually, never mind, being the cat lover that I am I just can't go there. ;)

I bet you live in such a pretty place. Seeing a coyote in Yellowstone was the highlight of my trip and you see them on a daily basis. Do you get a lot of snow in the winters?

Love your posts!

kitchenditcher said...

Mechelle - We are so fortunate to see lots of wildlife where I live, coyotes, raccoons, squirrels, big horn sheep, foxes, roadrunner, deer, mountain lion and bear. In fact last night I talked to someone in our ward who has bears at their place for the last five days straight!

Pam-yeah, I am waiting for plan B too! Will ask the Elders tomorrow!

Merrianne - Glad you have the same sense of humor that I do. Was hoping I wasn't going to offend any animal lovers out there! I love animals too but still thought this was funny!

Jan - My son is in Brazil. Where is your son? Hopefully both of them are leaving all animals alone!

Redhoodoos - Thanks for the post idea! And yes, we get FEET of snow in the winter! Weird to think that southern calif gets snow huh??

Elisa said...

Oh the crazy things missionaries come up with to do on their P days... I used to do crazy stuff too. But, it never involved a bow & arrow...

Fun memories!

Robin Beck said...

I am laughing here...Not because the coyote waited it out and got the rodent. No, I'm laughing because I could just imagine a couple of your Elders sitting on top of the roof with a compound bow dangling a squirrel! That really had to be a sight to see!
Have a Great Weekend~!
Beep, Beep!

Jan said...

My son is in Tempe, AZ. He has 4 1/2 months left. My friends daughter is in Brazil. She is loving it there.

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

It doesn't matter whether the Elders got the coyote or not... the reality is that they now have a really funny missionary story to tell everyone back home. :)

Cindy at Rosehaven Cottage

Beeswax said...

Poor squirrel. Lost his life in vain!

Elders might need rabies shots when this is all over.

mysteryhistorymom said...

I am so honored to see that I am a part of your club! LOVE IT! I always wanted to be part of a club... Actually I was in one when I was in grade school. We put out our own newspaper and everything. Those were the days.:-) So glad I can be part of your club! Lori

Anonymous said...

I think a giant anvil or grand piano thrown from the roof would have worked too!
Cute story

WisAndGrif said...

Oh my!!! Life of a missionary - they always seem to mix with animals sometime along the way. Either they try to catch a coyote or some eat dog (Jay). ha ha ha... Loved the story.

Lisa Loo said...

How fun this whole blogging thing is!! I love your blog title. I have a magnet that says, "Dull women have immaculate homes"--it is my mantra. Thanx for stopping by--I love your blog. I feel like I found a kindred spirit. THe whole missionary story is a treasure. Can I put a link to you on my blog?

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map